- Home /
- Port Info /
- Harbor Police Department /
- Security and Access
On January 13, 2009, the Transportation Safety Administration Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) program was implemented at the Port of New Orleans.
- Anyone entering a maritime facility must have a TWIC or be escorted by an approved Port of New Orleans TWIC holder.
- Approved escorts must comply with the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA).
- Non-maritime facilities do not require a TWIC, but do require a valid picture identification.
- Neither the Port of New Orleans nor its tenants accept third-party-trained TWIC escorting companies.
- Escort authority remains valid only as long as the escort works directly for or on behalf of the Port of New Orleans or one of its tenant lease holders. When escorts or their companies complete their business relationships with the Port or its lease holders, their escort privileges are suspended.
For information on obtaining a TWIC credential, please go the Transportation Safety Administration (TSA) website. The Port of New Orleans cannot assist individuals in resolving TWIC credentialing issues.
TWIC escorts must work for one of the following:
- Port of New Orleans tenants that lease space within restricted areas
- Licensed steamship agents
- Licensed transportation services companies
- Regulated public utilities
- Port chaplains
- The Board of Commissioners of the Port of New Orleans
- Consultants/Subcontractors for the Board of Commissioners of the Port of New Orleans
The Harbor Police Department offers TWIC escort training for qualified applicants. TWIC escort training classes are scheduled on an as-needed basis.
To schedule an escort training class, contact Sgt. Chris Smith via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
TWIC Related Documents and Forms: