Port of New Orleans Nabs 15 AAPA Communications Awards
NEW ORLEANS—August 20, 2020—The American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) honored the Port of New Orleans (Port NOLA) with 15 communications awards as part of the trade association’s 54th annual Communications Awards Program recognizing member seaports for exemplary communications projects and programs. This year for the first time, each of Port NOLA’s entries received an award, and the 15 awards also represents Port NOLA’s largest number of wins in a single year.
“Port NOLA works each day to engage our stakeholders as we fulfill our role as a global gateway and economic engine for the state of Louisiana,” said Brandy D. Christian, Port of New Orleans President and CEO. “This recognition among our peers validates our efforts and keeps us committed to continuous improvement.”
Port NOLA received Awards of Excellence for the Port’s 2019 State of the Port splash video, the 2019 Maritime Month public awareness campaign and the Port NOLA Economic Impact campaign. The Port received 11 Awards of Distinction for a variety of overall outreach campaigns, videos and social media efforts. The 2019 State of the Port campaign received an Award of Merit.
“The Communications Awards Program judges told us they were very impressed with the quality of this year’s winning entries,” said Chris Connor, AAPA’s President and CEO. “When port authorities communicate strategically with their many audiences, including community residents, business leaders, policymakers, customers and other stakeholders, they’re better able to show their tremendous value as drivers of economic development, environmental enhancement and job creation.”
The 2020 AAPA Communications Awards Program utilized 37 professional public relations practitioners from the Washington, D.C. area who cumulatively spent more than 180 hours over two weeks judging the 14 classifications of entries, ranging from advertisements, periodicals, videos and websites, to social media and overall campaigns. The competition supports member ports by rewarding strategic communications through peer-reviewed analyses of their programs and projects, and by showcasing best practices and lessons learned.
Here’s a full list of Port NOLA’s winning entries in the 2020 competition:
• Award of Excellence – Videos: 2019 State of the Port Video - “Opportunity Calls”
• Award of Excellence – Overall Campaign: Maritime Month 2019
• Award of Excellence – Overall Campaign: Economic Impact Campaign
• Award of Distinction – Overall Campaign: Disney Wonder 2020 Kickoff Campaign
• Award of Distinction – Overall Campaign: Port NOLA Now More than Ever COVID-19 Campaign
• Award of Distinction – Special Events: Truck Driver Appreciation Week
• Award of Distinction – Directories/Handbooks: Gateway Review
• Award of Distinction – Miscellaneous: Holiday Card
• Award of Distinction – Social/Web-Based Media: Disney Wonder 2020 Social Media Kickoff Campaign
• Award of Distinction – Community/Education Outreach: Port NOLA 101
• Award of Distinction – Community/Education Outreach: Maritime Career Info Sessions
• Award of Distinction – Web-Based Media: Port NOLA Digital Learning Toolbox
• Award of Distinction – Videos: Virtual Reality Videos
• Award of Distinction – Periodicals: Port Record
• Award of Merit – Overall Campaign: Port NOLA State of the Port Campaign — Opportunity Calls, We Answer